Posted In: Powerlifting
The release of the PowerliftingToWin Novice Program and the launch of the PowerliftingToWin forumshas thus far been a tremendous success that has far exceeded my expectations. But here at PowerliftingToWin, there is no resting upon one’s laurels and there are no days off. The show must go on!
This review is going to center around the well-known Texas Method program. First of all, I want to clarify one point: the Texas Method is more of a template than a true, cookie cutter program. This makes it very difficult to evaluate because there a lot of moving parts. As such, I’m going to focus on the version of the program that has become most popular around the internet.
In today’s program review, we’re going to be tackling Jim Wendler’s iconic 5/3/1 system. Now, before I begin, it is extremely important to note that 5/3/1 is not a generic, cookie cutter “program” that you can easily analyze. Through his different book publications, including the original 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, and Beyond 5/3/1, Jim Wendler has produced well over 500 pages of content regarding the 5/3/1 system.
By C.S. Sloan
For years, the countries of Russia and others from the former Soviet Republic have dominated international powerlifting and Olympic lifting competitions. And for years, there has also been an aura of mystique surrounding the methods they use to produce such phenomenal athletes, not to mention a lot of misconceptions about those methods.
As the programming series heads towards its finale, it is time to take a look at the Bulgarian Method for Powerlifting. To construct this review, I have consulted multiple works, but my primary influences were John Broz, Matthew Perryman, and Damien Pezzutti. In fact, much of the science behind recovery, overtraining, and its relation to the Bulgarian Method comes directly from Matthew Perryman’s Book: Squat Every Day.
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder, French Vanilla Creme, 5 Pound (Packaging May Vary) $58.64
- Fit Viva Barbell Pad for Standard and Olympic Barbells with Safety Straps Bonus 30 Day Challenge from Foam Pad for… $19.97
- POY Replacement Bands Compatible for Fitbit Charge 2, Classic & Special Edition Adjustable Sport Wristbands $6.88
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) $478.99 – $580.00
- Raw Grass Fed Whey 5LB - Happy Healthy Cows, COLD PROCESSED Undenatured 100% Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder, GMO-Free… $69.97
- Marcy Fan Exercise Bike with Air Resistance System – Red and Black – NS-1000 $160.27
- Bodylogix Micronized Creatine Monohydrate Powder, NSF Certified, Unflavored, 300g $12.86
- Isopure Low Carb, Vitamin C and Zinc for Immune Support, 25g Protein, Keto Friendly Protein Powder, 100% Whey Protein… $44.99
- Six Star 100% Whey Isolate Protein Powder, Decadent Chocolate, 4 Pound $49.99
- Bodybuilding Signature 100% Whey Protein Powder | 25g of Protein per Serving (Mocha Cappuccino, 5 Lbs) $55.99