Posted In: Powerlifting
The release of the PowerliftingToWin Novice Program and the launch of the PowerliftingToWin forumshas thus far been a tremendous success that has far exceeded my expectations. But here at PowerliftingToWin, there is no resting upon one’s laurels and there are no days off. The show must go on!
This review is going to center around the well-known Texas Method program. First of all, I want to clarify one point: the Texas Method is more of a template than a true, cookie cutter program. This makes it very difficult to evaluate because there a lot of moving parts. As such, I’m going to focus on the version of the program that has become most popular around the internet.
In today’s program review, we’re going to be tackling Jim Wendler’s iconic 5/3/1 system. Now, before I begin, it is extremely important to note that 5/3/1 is not a generic, cookie cutter “program” that you can easily analyze. Through his different book publications, including the original 5/3/1, 5/3/1 for Powerlifting, and Beyond 5/3/1, Jim Wendler has produced well over 500 pages of content regarding the 5/3/1 system.
By C.S. Sloan
For years, the countries of Russia and others from the former Soviet Republic have dominated international powerlifting and Olympic lifting competitions. And for years, there has also been an aura of mystique surrounding the methods they use to produce such phenomenal athletes, not to mention a lot of misconceptions about those methods.
As the programming series heads towards its finale, it is time to take a look at the Bulgarian Method for Powerlifting. To construct this review, I have consulted multiple works, but my primary influences were John Broz, Matthew Perryman, and Damien Pezzutti. In fact, much of the science behind recovery, overtraining, and its relation to the Bulgarian Method comes directly from Matthew Perryman’s Book: Squat Every Day.
- Designer Whey Protein Powder, Summer Strawberry, 4 Pound, Non GMO $45.09
- Grass Fed Whey Protein - 5lb Vanilla - 100% Natural, Cold Processed, Undenatured w/No Sweeteners or Added Sugars - rBGH Free, GMO-Free, Gluten Free, Preservative Free - Pure Whey $58.97
- CAP Barbell Black Olympic Rubber Grip Weight Plates, Single, Various Sizes $8.34 – $60.99
- Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells (Pair) $329.00 – $472.48
- BERTER Knee Brace for Men Women - Compression Sleeve Non-Slip for Running, Hiking, Soccer, Basketball for Meniscus Tear Arthritis ACL Single Wrap $14.99
- Dymatize ISO100 Hydrolyzed Protein Powder, 100% Whey Isolate Protein, 25g of Protein, 5.5g BCAAs, Gluten Free, Fast Absorbing, Easy Digesting, Gourmet Chocolate, 5 Pound $66.73
- Source Classic Organic Whey Protein - 100% Grass-Fed and Grass-Finished - UNFLAVORED - Lecithin-Free - 2lb Bulk $64.99
- BSN SYNTHA-6 Isolate Protein Powder, Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Flavor: Vanilla Ice Cream, 48 Servings $53.99
- Bionutritional Research Group Proto Whey Double Chocolate 5.3 Pound Tub $79.99
- Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder | Vanilla 2lb Grass Fed Whey | 100% Natural Whey w/No Added Sugars | rBGH Free + GMO-Free + Gluten Free + Preservative Free | Pure Whey $29.97