Posted In: Explosiveness
In the quest to become more powerful and athletic, many athletes may be thinking that if they perform explosive exercises with added load, that when they go back to performing similar or sport specific movements at bodyweight, they’ll be that much more explosive. This write up aims to serve as an introduction and reveal whether or not loaded explosive movements are necessary, and which types of athletes they are best suited for. I will focus my attention on exercises aimed a increasing the vertical jump and the sprint. For the vertical jump, examples of weighted exercises are: Olympic lifts, jump squats while holding dumbbells/ balancing a barbell on the back, or wearing a weighted vest. For sprinting, many athletes will use the aforementioned exercises, along with other methods such as sprinting with, or pushing, a weighted sled.
They are an integral part of many SAQ programs and compliment many different sports and events.Ladder agility drills are an excellent way to improve foot speed, agility, coordination and overall quickness.
Improve explosive power with this full body med ball workout
Medicine ball training has been around since the ancient Greeks discovered health benefits from exercising with weighted balls. It is one of the oldest forms of strength and conditioning used to improve health, explosive power, and speed. Medicine balls are versatile, portable and a fad that lasted the test of time. Several styles and sizes exist – some are made of rubber or leather, some absorb load, and others bounce really high. But how can a weighted sphere be so simple, yet have the potential to be so functional?
Training with plyometrics can be the difference between being an average athlete or a greatathlete. Some coaches tend to shy away from plyometrics as they assume the movements can be dangerous, hard to teach, and not worth the trouble. This is not the case. By not implementing plyos into your athlete’s routine, your athlete will never become nearly as explosive as he or she could.
Someone mentioning they have Soviet training secrets used to be a big deal. The Soviets’ athletic endeavors were quite dominant from the 1950s to the 1990s. One secret that American coaches noticed was the Soviet athletes doing jumping drills before competition, rather than the traditional static stretching.
- Squat Rack HD Power Weight Bench Racks 72" H 600 Cap. 3 Safety $189.74
- CAP Barbell Standard Bench Black/red $101.18
- Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series Creatine X3 2.52lb Fruit Punch US (Packaging may vary)
- Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey, Turbo Chocolate, 3.5 Pounds $73.36
- Marcy Multiple Dumbbell Rack $46.79
- MET-Rx Creatine 4200, 240 count $9.80
- All Stars Creatin Monohydrat ATP Regeneration Support 600g by All Stars
- Bodylogix Natural Whey Protein Nutrition Shake, Natural Vanilla Bean, 1.85 Pound
- Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- HemingWeigh Heavy-Duty Complete Upper Body Workout Bar - 3-In-1 - Pull-Up / Push-Up / Sit-Up Bar (Latest Model - Advanced Door Frame Protection) $50.59
- Six Star Pro Nutrition Elite Series Whey Protein Powder, Triple Chocolate, 2 lb. (Packaging may vary)
- CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch Spring Clip Collars, Pair
- EAS Complete Protein, Vanilla, 2 Pound $37.62
- MET-Rx Natural Whey Chocolate, 5 pound $50.70
- Marcy Flat Utility Weight Bench, Black
- 7' Olympic Bar with 2 Collars Chrome Barbell 45lb Weight Bar for Weight Lifting and Strength Training Fitness Exercise Home or Gym Use $95.25
- Tera's Whey Organic Weight Loss Products, Bourbon Vanilla, 12 Ounce $27.69
- Valor Fitness BD-9 Power Squat Stand $220.10
- Body Champ IT8070 Inversion Therapy Table
- Body-Solid Leg Press & Hack Squat $1,669.80
- US Weight F0105E- 105-Pound Weight Set with Dumbbells
- Dymatize Nutrition Micronized Creatine, 2.2 Pound
Air Alert III
Vertical Jump Bible
7 days to a higher vertical
Building A Better Athlete
Total Xplosive Training
Faster 40 In 4 Days
531 2nd edition ebook
James Steel – Bas’ Barbell Club